Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Everything But the Weather Channel

I live in South Florida.  Its Hurricane Season.  I have a nifty app on my phone called a 'Weather Bug'.  It gives me up to the minute radar, forecasts, etc.  Love it.  Today the alarm on my phone that alerts me to a 'Weather Bug' update is blowing my phone up.  There is a storm to the south of us.   My electricity is going off and on.  Rain is hitting my windows.  Yea! A storm.

I run downstairs and turn on the Weather Channel.  It's on a commercial break.  Okay, I understand TWC needs to make money.  I can wait a couple of minutes.  Finally, the show starts.  Sure enough, there is a weather alert ticker running at the bottom of the screen showing new warnings have been issued...details coming soon.  Okay, that should be the lead story.  Nope, a cheery 'weather' reporter is giving me a tour of the new Grand Old Opry that is reopening tonight in Nashville.  Seriously?  The National Weather Center has issued a weather alert and you are touring me through the backstage at the Grand Old Opry?  Are you people looking at the bottom of your own screen?  Do you not see the alert flashing in red down there? 

Okay, the ticker is still saying details coming soon.  Maybe the Nashville piece is a pre-recorded tape that the technicians don't know how to stop.  I can wait... sort of.  Okay, new segment.. this is it.  Nope, there is a talking head showing me the 5 day forecast for Washington DC.  Seriously?  Do these people really not see the crawl at the bottom of the screen saying new warnings issued?  My power is out again.  Okay, power back on.  Now TWC is showing me a piece on a mountain climber that died in 1939 on some mountain and this author found his remains and did a book on it.  Seriously?  My 'Weather Bug' on my phone is going off again.  New warnings issued for my area. Sure hope its not a tornado because I will be in the Land of Oz long before the Weather Channel can tell me about it.

I am now 31 minutes into this saga; the crawl at the bottom of the screen is still flashing red; my power is still doing a disappearing act; my phone is still beeping from the weather bug alert; I still don't know what new warning has been issued by the National Weather Center. Seriously?

I switch to Fox News.  Success!!  There is the familiar forecast cone.  I am under a new Tropical Storm Warning, Flash Flood Warning, Tropical Winds Warning. Happy Days!

Just for fun, let's go back to the Weather Channel.. Breaking News... finally!  Nope, mudslides in Mexico. Seriously?

2 comments:

  1. lol... And to top it off it is going to be named Nicole ;) I feel special... well, as long as I don't have to go to my dad's farm and move all the animals. Eek. Can it become a TS after it passes us? I'm really not into moving a couple hundred animals to safety this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally get this!!! TWC can be ridiculous. Hilarious as always :)
    And Nikki, we can help move the tortoises next time!!

    ReplyDelete