Friday, September 10, 2010

Middle of the Night

Ever notice how random things happen in the middle of the night? Last night it was the vanishing toilet paper.  There was paper on the roll when I went to bed.  I have first-hand knowledge of that fact.

So when Mother Nature demanded my attention at 3am , the roll was empty. I know I was only half-awake, but cardboard is all that my hand could find.  Okay, no problem.  Feel around in the basket on the back of the tank where I keep an extra roll.  Seriously- you got to be kiddin' me!  Apparently whatever happened to the roll on the holder also happened to the spare roll.  Okay - now what?   Kleenex to the rescue! 

Now I am awake and mad.  Who did this?  Who was this inconsiderate?  Who to blame?  So I go on a fact-finding mission. 

My husband is sound asleep in the same position he was in when I went to bed a couple of hours ago.  Dead to the world, I don't think he has been up.  I poke my head into my daughter's room - again, no movement.  Besides, she is so sweet when she is asleep, it reminds me of when she was a little girl and couldn't possibly have done anything so mean as to leave an empty roll.  Moving on, I search out the 4-legged inhabitants of my household.  The dog is snoring, legs straight up in the air at the foot of our bed.  I bend down to look for tiny bits of toilet paper that would give away her midnight raid on the roll.  Nope, she's clean.  Must be the cats.  Of course, have you ever tried to look for a cat in the middle of the night?  Their nocturnal instincts have them off doing whatever cats do in the darkness. Nowhere to be found but no telltale trail of toilet paper anywhere either. Usually, they claw down half the roll and then walk away, just daring me to say something to them.  So without a puddle of TP under the roll, it probably wasn't them either. 

Out of suspects, I go back to bed.  It's now 3:15am and I no longer care.  That is until this morning at 6am when I hear my husband's outraged shout 'who used the last of the toilet paper and didn't replace it?'  Oh yeah, about that ....

2 comments:

  1. Kim I know who took your tp. The ghost from work decided to follow you home and mess with you so you didnt get any sleep cause he knew you had to be back at work. To funny

    ReplyDelete