Sunday, September 12, 2010

Do I Know You?

Facebook. The new connect place.  But, you know what?  I don't want to connect with everyone I ever knew. Frankly, there are some people I hope I NEVER see again!  Seriously - I don't want to be friends with everyone. It scares me that you found me. People I don't even know want to be friends with me. Do folks just randomly send out friend requests to strangers?  That's either very sad or very scary.

If I didn't like you in High School, I don't care what you are doing now. Just because you know someone that I know doesn't mean I want to know you. Just because you are a long-lost relative of  someone in my family, I don't have to be friends with you.  Just because you went to 5th grade with my daughter doesn't mean I care who you are.  If I once knew you and you haven't heard from me in 20 years, there's probably a reason!  My favorite app on Facebook is the 'Ignore' button.

I know some people who think it is a status symbol to have 600+ 'friends' on their Facebook page.  Seriously? Get a life!  Who cares?  How could you possibly know that many people let alone care about what every single one of them is doing? Do you stay home 24/7 and watch your Home page Newsfeed?  Somehow I kinda doubt it.( And just so you know, if you do stay home and Facebook all day, you're NOT on my list).   I have a 50 friend and family limit. That's about as many people that I can care about at one time.  If someone comes along that I like better than you, I boot you off my list.  The cool thing is that you will never know I 'un-friended' you. 

I will give kudos to one Facebook find.  She was my best friend through college and a couple of years afterward but life happened and we lost each other.  Facebook reconnected us and for that I will be eternally grateful.  She's on my 'keep' list.  But, everyone else... don't get your hopes up. That was a fluke.

2 comments:

  1. Man, remind me never to cross you. Lol. Actually, I have over 2,00o friends myself and trust me it's not because I know everyone of them or check up on everyone of them. I connect with people to get my writing out there. Just like people follow blogs because they enjoy reading what a person has to say, people follow other people because maybe the want to hear what they have to say or enjoy what they are doing. It is a compliment more than anything. As an author your going to need to get used to it -- especially when publication comes knocking at your door. People who don't know you are going to read your book, they are going to like it, and they are going to want to see what else you have to say. If you're not too opposed to it now is a great time to build your platform by friending acquaintances. This doesn't mean you have to comment to each of them, but they can see your posts, nod their heads, and realize you are a person with something important to say -- which you are. Love you. C u this Sunday and don't forget to Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a professional networking site, FB is fab! The more the merrier. I am talking about the 2 women at the hair salon that were bragging about their 'friends' as though it was still High School and they were fighting over who was most popular. Seriously??

    ReplyDelete