Friday, September 24, 2010

Snobby Gloater

This morning my daughter called me a 'Snobby Gloater'.   A what?  Over the years, she and I have called each other a variety of things, usually in the heat of battle, but this was a new one.  (Seriously, what mom and daughter who are very close, love one another very much and spend lots of time together has not called each other names at some point?)  Well, anyway, I digress...


Looking back, I have to say I didn't mean to be a 'snobby gloater'.  I was merely marveling at the new technology in my new phone - a Vibrant.  Seriously, its amazing!  I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination.  I don't know how to hook up DVD players, download music onto my iPod or change the time on my car clock.  BUT, I do know how to play with my new Android-powered plaything... I mean, phone.

Today I discovered how to make the background change to reflect the weather outside.  How totally cool is that?  If it is sunshiny, my background is bright and glorious or, as is the case today,  cloudy and rainy.  I was merely holding up my phone to show my daughter that it was raining on my phone while holding back the living room curtains to show her it was raining outside, when she called me a 'snobby gloater'.  Now, I ask you, is that fair? Seriously?

Let me give you a little background before you decide. My child changes phones every couple of months.  Its amazing how she does it... while in college she went through no less than 5 phones.  One ended up at the bottom of the University's pool, one was discovered in the washer, one was left on the lawn in front of her dorm (yes, of course there were sprinklers).  Okay, so you get my point.  Finally, our phone carrier said 'enough' and took away her upgrade privileges. Then, of course, she just started buying unlocked phones off E-Bay.  Every time there was new technology, she had to have it.  Well, her trading lust finally got her in trouble.   When the new Vibrant came available, she was ineligible to upgrade, trade, buy or plead.  

I, on the other hand, had held my Blackberry for 3 years. Faithfully plodding along, watching the kid get bigger and better technology, listening to her comments about 'Mom's dinosaur', I waited. And waited. And waited. Until now.  After no upgrades, no 'accidents', no complaints - my husband was able to trade me up for the newest of the new, the most advanced of the advances for a fraction of the cost.  I have all the bells and whistles needed to gladden any techies heart. 

So, if I occasionally point out to the girl who has had it all over the last few years, that now I have it all and she doesn't, does that really make me a Snobby Gloater?   Yeah, probably.  Now, if  I only cared...

1 comment: